Born on 2nd February 1891, in Bengeo, Hertfordshire and was christened on 5 Apr 1891 in Bengeo son of Col. Sir Charles Elton Longmore K.C.B. (Honorary Colonel Hertfordshire Regiment, Solicitor and County Treasurer) and Helen Julia (Sworder), he had two brothers and two sisters. In 1891 they were living in Port Hill House, Bengeo, and his father was a solicitor with his own business, they also had five servants at that time. By 1901 they were still at Port Hill House now with only three servants and his father was now also a Clerk of the Peace. The 1911 census shows Charles boarding at 30 Clapham Road, Bedford and he is employed as an articled clerk to surveyor. He married Gertrude Johnson on 29th (poss 18th) December 1914 at St Andrews Undershaft, London and they lived at 52 Chaucer Road, Bedford. He was clerk to a surveyor. According to his probate record he left £349 2s 3d to his widow who was still living at 52 Chaucer Road, Bedford.