Frank Tingey Martin was born in Harrow Weald, Middlesex in 1888, was the youngest child of James Martin, a Gardener and Hannah Martin, (nee Joiner). He was baptised at All Saints’ Church, Harrow Weald, on 18 November 1888.
His father was a domestic gardener, working at one time as head gardener at ‘Waldoes’, a property linked to the Waldo family, who had been landowners in the area of Harrow and Pinner from the 1680s. Frank’s mother worked as a dairy woman and he had two sisters Alice and Charlotte.
1891 Census records Frank aged (2), living with his parents, sisters Alice (7), and Charlotte (5), at The Lodge, Southfield Park, Harrow, Middx.
By 1901 the family had moved to Park Gardens, Harrow Weald, Middx. Frank was at school; Alice was working as a Dairymaid and Charlotte a Dressmaker.
1911 Census records Frank now aged (22), working as a Printers Machine Minder still living at home with his parents at 3 Red Lion Cottages, College Road, Harrow on the Hill, Middx.
He served a seven-year apprenticeship with G Palmers & Sons in Wealdstone.
In 1909 he joined the Wealdstone Football Club and was the 1st, XI Vice-Captain in the 1913/14 season.
He remained single and, prior to 1913, he enlisted in the 9th Battalion of the Middlesex Regiment T F, from which he was discharged after two years' service by purchase, not by pension.